Miller Park, Milwaukee, WI, USA

A place to discuss your favorite blokart venue, or to ask about new ones, organize trips to remote venues etc.

Miller Park, Milwaukee, WI, USA

Postby GeoffS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:48 am

Earlier this year I was looking for large parking lots around sport/entertainment venues and I spotted two very large lots to the east of the Miller Park stadium complex near Milwaukee:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0276888 ... !1e3?hl=en

Last Saturday I decided to drive over and look at them in-person. There weren't any events at the stadium, so the entire area was deserted. A few employees drove through on maintenance tasks, but nobody paid me any attention:

Here's a video of a few laps: http://youtu.be/rHCXk2qUXOQ

The wind was from the South-West so I sailed a course around light-poles at the NE (leeward mark) and SW (windward mark). Google maps measured the distance as 876' (267m).

It is possible to sail through three short driveways to the southern lot, but there were wooden barricades left over from an event earlier in the day and I didn't bother to move them. There was one small opening, and I briefly sailed the lower lot to check it out. I think it would be no problem to setup a course that spanned both lots which would allow a course of about 1/3 mile (1/2km).

The surface is in pretty good shape. Not perfect by any means, but much nicer than the abandoned pavement we've sailed on before. It's not perfectly level; the high-spot is near the west point between the two lots and they both slope down to the NE and SE.
There are light poles and a few islands. The areas between the islands are large, so avoiding them wasn't much of a problem.
Sponsors (yay!): Nautos-usa, Performance Sailing Products
Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Re: Miller Park, Milwaukee, WI, USA

Postby GeoffS » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:04 am

Here's a GPS track of the course I was sailing in the afternoon:

Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Postby GeoffS » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:05 am

There was an autocross in the two big lots, so I investigated some of the other parking areas and ended up sailing in a couple of lots to the north of the stadium.

The wind was from the SE, so I tried a number of courses in the three lots:

Here's a brief video showing a couple of laps on the blue course:
http://youtu.be/H6gUR1o-L0Y
Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Postby GeoffS » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:12 am

After a year of not sailing at Miller Park I finally got a chance last weekend.
It was probably the last mild weekend of the year and the wind was nearly perfect for 5.5m sailing.

I was able to set a 1500' (460m) windward-leeward course.

You can see I was having a bit of trouble sailing upwind+uphill. I wish I'd had someone else to tune with and see if I could improve my sailing on that section.

Interactive Map: http://geoff-s.net/blokart/misc/2015-11 ... Track.html

ImageImage
Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Postby GeoffS » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:38 am

I was looking at my tracks from sailing yesterday and noticed a pattern that seems to fit my observations from sailing other times.
When the wind is blowing from the SW, for some reason the SW part of the lot has much lower wind.
This is curious, because there's nothing I can see that would cause the problem...

2015-12-10_Miller Park_tracks_wind.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Return to Venues