2016 Racing Format

A place to discuss the venue for the 2016 World blokart Championships, discussions about the weather, surface, size, location etc.

2016 Racing Format

Postby Arjay » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:25 pm

I know there is lots going on to organising this event. Ivanpah is a great place to sail and race and this will be my fourth visit since 2008. The racing that most of the world is doing or attempting to do is the windward/leeward courses with a gate in the windward leg. Most of the courses being sailed are quite narrow, runways, small beaches, and paddocks! Lake Walyungup is pretty small compared to Ivanpah.

I wonder if we should add some boundaries to the course to try and simulate our own racing. For Ivanpah it could be maybe 200 or 300 metres wide for a leg length of 1000 metres say. It could be set at the start of the day and would only need changing if there was a significant wind change. I remember watching the America's Cup on the pc at some odd hour in 2013 and the boundaries made it much more interesting. Food for thought love to hear your feedback.
Russell
Australia
Arjay

Re: 2016 Racing Format

Postby javierestarellas » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:15 pm

I have to agree with you, Russell. There is no point to set a long upwind-downwind course without boundaries,when the aim of the upwind -downwing is to have a lot of tacking in order to reach the top mark.
This makes the competition more interesting rather than to choose only a side of the course to get the layline to the mark.
I agree that 300 meters wide is perfect for a 1000 m long course.
javierestarellas

Postby navig8r » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to the notes to discuss in the race committee when it is setup.

The courses won't only be windward leewards either.
Those at the 2014 worlds commented that they enjoyed the variety, particularly the "M" course we did in the easterly breeze. The course shapes will be drawn out and included in the sailing instructions (with an option to define one at briefing also). This way we can shorten the briefings by not having to explain the course. Instead we can say its "course 3, and the direction to the first mark is south west". simple!!
Ross Vickers
Sail # NZ100
Sponsors include; NZsailing.net, Yacht-studio.com, Gul performance clothing, RoosterSailing.com
Auckland Blokart Club / NZBAI
Blokartworlds.com administrator (on behalf of Blokart International)
Blokart Worlds Forum moderator
navig8r
Site Admin

Postby GeoffS » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:17 am

[To be clear: I'm not against other courses, but I do have strong opinions about the windward-leeward course]

I have to disagree that "...the aim of the upwind-downwing is to have a lot of tacking...".

IMHO, the aim of a windward-leeward course is to maximize the benefit for tactical sailing.

A narrow course reduces the tactical options so that the race becomes essentially a zig-zag "drag race" as everybody simply tacks back-and-forth across the lane to the top mark. I will grant that it favors sailors with good tacking and gybing skills.

With more freedom, a sailor who is paying attention of wind strength and direction variations, the surface roughness across the course, and all the other variables that can occur on a large sailing area has an advantage over their competitors who simply sail out to the corner and tack/gybe.

For example, at the 2014 NAs at Ivanpah, there was a section of near the middle of the racing-area that was significantly rougher and softer than the rest of the playa. Avoiding that area was a significant element in doing well.

On one day, rounding the leeward mark and tacking immediately to port was much faster than continuing upwind on starbord due to disturbed wind on the lower left-hand section of the course.

Even in iceboating, where the speeds generally favor fewer maneuvers, it is not uncommon to tack and gybe multiple times to take advantage of wind shifts or ice conditions.
For example, here's a GPS track of a DN race a couple years ago. There is only one upwind leg where I sailed out to the layline and tacked to the mark. All the other upwind and downwind legs involved more than one tack/gybe:
(the wind if from the lower-left corner of the image)

Cheers,

Geoff S.
Sponsors (yay!): Nautos-usa, Performance Sailing Products
Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Postby navig8r » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks Geoff.

Everyone can have there opinion on what they think the best type of course is and as I said above they will all be noted. That does not mean that they will all be accepted nor does it mean that the organisers will selected just one type of course.

Many factors will go into the decision ranging from the logistics of setting the course, to the logistics of moving the course if the wind shifts, to getting races in when the wind is light or strong. Different courses have different strengths and weaknesses.

One thing can be assured though, whatever the course, it will require tactical skill and excellent kart handling.
Ross Vickers
Sail # NZ100
Sponsors include; NZsailing.net, Yacht-studio.com, Gul performance clothing, RoosterSailing.com
Auckland Blokart Club / NZBAI
Blokartworlds.com administrator (on behalf of Blokart International)
Blokart Worlds Forum moderator
navig8r
Site Admin

Postby Trevor_606 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Please no boundaries.

Who would have loved to have seen an AC72 take a punt and go around the other side of Alcatraz?

Boundaries IMHO spoil racing. Most of us sail with boundaries most of the time. Ivanpath is the nearest thing we get to open water sailing. If we impose boundaries I would be less inclined to attend I can sail at places with boundaries in NZ.
Trevor_606

Postby GeoffS » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:07 am

Trevor_606 wrote:Most of us sail with boundaries most of the time. Ivanpath is the nearest thing we get to open water sailing

I was wondering if there was any interest in having a much longer course for a couple of races?

For example, we could set a 3 km (2 mile) long course with four or five marks that would have a nominal path-length of 8 km (5 miles).
With decent wind you could do 3-4 laps in an hour-long "enduro" race.

I would think this could be a fun way to end a day when it's nicely windy.

LongIvanpah.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sponsors (yay!): Nautos-usa, Performance Sailing Products
Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Postby Trevor_606 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Geoff

Simple answer: Yes.

We've done this a couple of times at Ohakea airport.
Trevor_606

Return to Venue