All things RV?

A place to discuss the accommodation for the 2016 World Blokart Championships. Link up with others to share accommodation, get idea's on where to stay, etc

All things RV?

Postby Trevor_606 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Mainly to the Team USA.....

OK thinking of getting an RV and staying out on the Paya.

I'm sure there are lots of questions but one I can think of and I'm hoping you guys know the answer.

1. Is there a free waste water/toilet dump station nearby?
2. Is there a free water filling station?

TIA
Trevor
Trevor_606

Re: All things RV?

Postby Speed racer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:41 am

Trevor
I will look into the water/waste dump when I am out at ivanpah this March. Primm has put in a new major truck stop across the road, and there may be facility's there. I am sure Tom Hill and some of NABSA's other RV campers will know.
They usually are ok for 1 week but 2 weeks presents a different situation. Some of the RV people also arrange to have a room to share for a day or two to go in and take a good shower.
I don't think you will be able to rent a RV as nice as your boat.
Speed racer

Postby Trevor_606 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:49 am

Fran

Wrong Trevor but thanks :-)
Trevor_606

Postby tomterrificone » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:32 pm

I have been dry camping on the Ivanpah dry lake bed and could not find any dump sight or water fill up in that area, I was forced to drive to an RV camp ground in Las Vegas where I was charged $15.00 to dump and fill.
tomterrificone

Postby daisygirl » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:41 pm

We are coming from Australia and have a few questions re renting a RV

(A) where would be a good company to rent from. Don't mind if we have to pickup in Los Angeles or Las Vegas.

(B). I assume there is no power on the lake so how do people manage Power and water. How many days would the battery last for lights, etc? Do they come with generators or solar panels or do we need to go into Vegas overnight to recharge or can they be plugged in overnight at Pimms resort?

Thanks for everyone help
Judy Cox
Central Qld Blokart Club - Brisbane division, Australia
daisygirl

Postby Cosmicsedso » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi Judy
I also have the same questions.
Have you had any other good information about getting an RV?
I'm considering entering but not if it's impossible to organise
Cosmicsedso

Postby GeoffS » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:44 am

Generators and solar panels are the two power options I see most often.
A 45w solar panel will usually charge up an evening's use of lights, but not much more.
Most larger RVs have a built-in generator.

No idea about water, sorry...

You might try posting on the NABSA Facebook page.

Cheers,

Geoff S.
Sponsors (yay!): Nautos-usa, Performance Sailing Products
Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Postby daisygirl » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:49 pm

I thought I would update this thread with our experiences now that we have returned from Ivanpah. It may help others in the future.

We rented our RV through Driveway which is a wholesale company in Australia that looks after all car rental and motorhomes. They then booked it through Cruise America and the depot is Las Vegas is located on Davies Road at Henderson which is just off the highway on the way from Las Vegas to Primms.

We paid the USD$55 for bedding package but in hindsight it was pretty ordinary i.e. 1 x sheet, 1 x sleeping bag, a small bath towel, 1 x pillow and aface washer and a tea towel. Much better to go to Walmart which is just down the road from the depot and we paid $29 for a full set of sheets, pillowcases and a comforter. A few extra dollars set us up with a pillow and then you just "borrow" some towels from the hotel which you return before leaving.

The RV came with a generator which runs off the fuel for the camper and costs USD$3.50 per hour to run. There is a meter in the camper which they check when you get back. You need to run the generator if you want to use the air conditioning or microwave. They say not to run the generator at night but it was cool enough to sleep without air conditioning but handy during the hot days when out on the playa. This will also recharge the battery for lights, etc if you are not doing much driving.

The hot water runs off gas as well as the fridge and stove. It costs us $15 to top up the gas when we dropped off the camper after using it for a week.

Fuel is petrol for the camper so its really, really thirsty. We went for a day trip to Valley of Fire and it cost us around USD$100 in fuel. Overall I think we spent about $150 in full including the day trip and two trips to Vegas.

Due to the circumstances of the rain during the worlds we were unable to stay on the playa except for one night at the new spot. We were able to stay parked in the carpark of Primms and it was nice and quiet at night (plus you could access their free wifi) and nobody asked us to move on.

The all important questions now - Water and where to get it and where to drop-off the grey and black water

We found two places where you could drop-off the grey and black water and fill up again with clean water.
(a) Oasis Resort is located corner of Blue Diamond Road and Las Vegas Boulevard and about a 20 min drive from Primms (just on the edge of Vegas). Cost $15 to use the dump point. You drive in, pay at the convenience store and then start to drive out, show the receipt to the security guard and then empty out. This place is on the way to the depot so good to fix up on the last day as otherwise get charged $35 by Cruise America

(b) There is a parking lot near Fremont Street. Basically stay on the highway (I15) and head from Primms towards Vegas, follow the highway past the strip to the other end and keep an eye out for "Downtown LV" signs, turn onto I215 and then pretty much immediately turn off when you see the big "Free Parking" signs. Note that parking is not free as in little letters underneath it says "with validation". Turn into the open air carpark driveway where you see all the cars parked, pay $10 and get a receipt. Then you drive out the driveway, under the freeway to the RV parking. Your $10 is actually for 24 hours so you can stay the night, hook up to power and water, have a nice long hot shower and dump the grey and black water and fill up. We only wanted to visit Fremont Street and do the zipline but $10 was still good value for parking as only one block off away from all the action.

Hope this helps and let me know if anyone has questions about renting an RV and staying on the Playa let me know. I am a qualified travel agent and happy to help with any bookings.
Judy Cox
Central Qld Blokart Club - Brisbane division, Australia
daisygirl

Postby GeoffS » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:12 am

Thanks for the information!
I'm sure it will be very useful in the future.

Cheers,

Geoff S.
Sponsors (yay!): Nautos-usa, Performance Sailing Products
Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Badger blokart Club
GeoffS

Return to Accommodation